AixEnProvence, France » City Info » Visa Requirements

Do I need a visa to go to Aix-En-Provence, France?

If you are not eligible for visa-free entry into France, then you need a visa to enter the country. There are some countries that enjoy visa-free entry for periods of up to 90 days.

Schengen Visa is required for travellers to go to France. Citizens from Schengen-member countries do not require a visa to enter France for stays of up to 90 days, but they must carry a national ID while entering and travelling in the country.

The Schengen Area consists of 23 EU member states and four non-EU countries:

Czech RepublicDenmarkEstonia

Additionally, there are many countries whose citizens are exempt from the visa requirement for travel to the Schengen Area. Please visit the official site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Depending on what country you live in, you may or may not need a visa and special permit to enter France. It is best to enquire about documents you will need well beforehand.

There are three main documents that should be considered include residence permit, work permit, and visa.

Residence permits must be obtained by those planning to stay in France for more than three months. These permits are only issued in France. Citizens of most EU countries do not need such permits, although it may come in handy.

Work permits are documents simply stating that you are permitted to work in France. Again, citizens of most EU countries do not need such permits.

Visas are usually required to enter a country regardless of how long or short the stay is. There are six types of visas, and it is a good idea to check which applies to you.

Short-stay visa (visa de court sejour):

This visa is valid for a maximum of 3 months and allows you to move around freely in what is known as the Schengen Area. The Schengen Area includes all the signatory countries to the Schengen treaty signed in 1985.

Short-stay student-examination visa (Etudiant-concours):

This visa is required by students who must appear for the examination in France. If the candidate is successful in the exam and enrolment is approved, a temporary stay permit (Carte de sejour temporaire) is required, describing the person's status as a student.

Long-stay visa (visa de long sejour):

Valid for a stay lasting 3-6 months. Upon your arrival in France, you need to obtain a temporary stay permit that will describe your status in France: student (student), employee (salarie), visitor (visiteur), among others.

Other visas include:
• Transit visas (visa de transit aeroportuaire),
• Circulation visas (Visa de circulation)
• Temporary long-stay visas (Visa long sejour temporaire de six mois).

EU/EEA citizens do not need a visa to enter France. Among non-EU/EEA citizens, some citizens do not need a visa due to special agreements between France and those countries.

Citizens requiring a visa must apply and obtain it in their home country at the French embassy or consulate. All the documents except the passport must be in French.

Please note:

The information on this webpage is for general information purposes only. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. For the latest information please access

For more regarding travel to the Schengen Area please visit